Patron of Jan Amos Komeński University of Applied Sciences in Leszno
Patron of Jan Amos Komeński University of Applied Sciences in Leszno - Jan Amos Komeński (John Amos Comenius)
Jan Amos Komeński (John Amos Comenius) was born on March 28, 1592 in Nivnice in southern Moravia. He studied in the Herborn Academy and at the University of Heidelberg to become a priest. After his ordination in 1618 he took up the position of a pastor in the ministry of the Bohemian Brethren in Fulnek on the Moravian-Silesian border.
In the meantime, the situation of Protestants in Bohemia deteriorated, which forced him to frequently change his place of residence. In 1627, Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor, issued new regulations for Bohemia and then for Moravia, pursuant to which all Protestants could either convert to Catholicism or leave the country. Confronted with such an alternative Comenius chose exile, and in February 1628, together with thousands of Bohemian Brethren he crossed the Sudetes and arrived in Leszno where he spent the next thirteen years, perhaps the most fruitful period of his life. Not only did the Bohemian immigrants find a new home here, but they also gained a powerful protector in the person of Rafał Leszczyński. Comenius became a teacher, and then a rector, in a high school founded by the Leszczyńscy family. This school grew into the most important educational centre for young Calvinists in Poland. In was also in Leszno where one of the most significant works of Comenius: ” Janua linguarum reserata” was created. (The Gate of Languages Unlocked, 1631).
In 1641-42 Comenius went to England, probably invited by the English Parliament. There he was involved in the work on the reform of the system of public education. Unfortunately, the outbreak of the English Civil War forced him to leave the country. He settled in Elbląg (a Swedish Elbing then), where he worked on new school textbooks. In 1650, at the invitation of Prince George II Rákóczi, Comenius went to Transylvania, where he took up the task of reorganizing the school system in accordance with the principles he had laid down earlier. He then moved to Amsterdam where one of his last works "The One Thing Needful" was written.
Comenius died in Amsterdam on November 15, 1670.
Jan Amos Comenius was a priest and a teacher, but also the author of outstanding works.
In total, he wrote about 250 books.